In the mix there’ s the surprise, and in the surprise there’ s the pleasure.
A variety of exclusive services;
In the mix there’ s the surprise, and in the surprise there’ s the pleasure. Get to know our touches, our art. Travel, discover, share. Live our land and feel part of it.
The hotel is a palacebuilt in 1924by Francisco Rueda, who was the director of an office of a local bank -banca Miñon- which was later absorbed by BBVA. The builder was Corbella Pené, who was responsible for all the important buildings that were built in Andújar in the first half of the 20th century: Plaza de Abastos, Cine Tívoli, Casa Espejo, Capilla de la Virgen de la Cabeza, Capilla del Conde de la Quintería, Casa Casuso, Casa Rodriguez, Casa Aldehuela, Casa “Azul”, etc.
Notable features are the “turrets” on both sides of the façade, the main marble staircase with original pinewood banister and the late 16th century basementwhere today the Hotel’s restaurant “Refugio” is located.
On the ground floor of the hotel there is a library specialising in antique books on medicine, art, Andalusia and fiction. In it, we have a cabinet-display cabinet with a set of antique bags and wallets from the 18th to the mid-20th centurymade of gold, silver, crocodile skin, petit-point, ivory, enamel, etc.
Also exhibited is asilverwriting desk that Cayetana – the Duchess of Alba – gave in 1954 before inheriting the title, when she was Duchess of Montoro, to Pablo Barrachina Estevan at her episcopal consecration for the Diocese of Orihuela, which he changed to Orihuela-Alicante.
All the artistic objects exhibited in the various rooms of the hotel and others in storage are for sale. They are paintings, drawings, engravings, sculptures, furniture, silverware, glass and decorative objects from different periods -from the 15th to the 21st century- and styles that were for sale in an antique shop once owned by the hotel’s owners.
If you are interested in any of them, please ask at reception.
HOTEL OLEUM ANDúJAR
During the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) this building and the adjacent one (San Bartolomé 7 and 9) – after requisitioning them from their legitimate owners – were connected by various rooms and were both the headquarters of theMilitary Command of the Southern Front of the Republican Army, which Antonio Cordón directed during the period of the attack on the Sanctuary of the Virgen de la Cabeza. Antonio Cordón – a member of the Communist Movement – became a General at the end of the War and was close to Negrín and, during his exile in Russia, to Carrillo and La Pasionaria.
The building occupied by the hotel was the Republican Army Officers’ Residence, where the officers lived with their wives and children, and in the adjacent building the Command Headquarters were established. One of the officers who lived with Cordón in this palace was Urbano Orad de la Torre whose wife had a child in 1937 who was the famous dancer María Rosa who between the 60s and 80s of the last century filled the best theatres in the world, including Russia.
As Andújar was the most bombed city in the whole province during the war and the Military Command was one of Franco’s targets, Cordón ordered the construction of an air raid shelter 7 m. underground under the basements of both buildings, with an entrance from both buildings and two exits to Tiradores street, which has been discovered by coincidence during the renovation of the building to transform it into a hotel. A bomb shelter completely unknown to historians and its current owners. If you would like to visit it free of charge, please ask at reception or in the restaurant. If you would like to visit it free of charge, please ask at reception or in the restaurant. An audio tour will explain the history of the building and the shelter. If you would like to visit it free of charge, please ask at reception or in the restaurant. An audio tour will explain the history of the building and the shelter.